HOW YOU CAN HELP
Why Give Monthly?
Monthly giving means strong and steady monthly funding that Building Homes for Heroes can count on and plan for, allowing us, together, to make meaningful long-term commitments to our wounded US service members and their families nationwide.
By making an affordable automatic tax-deductible gift each month, you can help Building Homes for Heroes empower our injured veterans and their families to lead more independent and productive civilian lives. Not only will your donation transform lives, it will make on-going support of Building Homes for Heroes’ work so much simpler.
Save Time and Make Your Gift Go Further
You simply decide on an affordable amount that meets your budget and your desire to help injured veterans and their families nationwide. Your gift can be automatically billed to your credit card on the same day each month of your choosing.
You’ll never have to find another stamp, write another check, or mail another donation to Building Homes for Heroes again! Of course, you can always change your monthly amount, suspend or discontinue your support, or modify your preferred method of payment at any time by calling us at (516) 684-9220.
In addition, since our costs for managing this program are much lower, so much more can be dedicated to our lifesaving programs that are helping veterans and their families rebuild and move forward.
- $30/month Help ease a veteran’s symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Reduce a veteran’s symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder with a therapeutic home water feature
- $50/month US and Military Service Flags for a veteran’s home. The United States flag and Military Service flags display our veterans show their pride and respect.
- $100/month Cover the cost for grab bar installation throughout a veteran’s home. Ensure a veteran has the stability they need on a day to day basis that most people take for granted
- $150/month Help cover the cost of a home security system. Help ensure a veteran and their family has an additional layer of stability and security within their home
Text “HERO” to 80100 to donate $10
Text “HERO25” to 80100 to donate $25
A one-time donation will be added to your mobile phone bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. Donor must be age 18+ and all donations must be authorized by the account holder (e.g. parents). By texting YES, the user agrees to the terms and conditions. All charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider. Service is available on most carriers. Donations are collected for the benefit of Building Homes for Heroes by the Mobile Giving Foundation and subject to the terms found at www.hmgf.org/t. Message & Data Rates May Apply. You can unsubscribe at any time by texting “STOP.”
Building Homes for Heroes
4584 Austin Blvd, Island Park, NY 11558
(518) 684 – 9220
Sara Dapson, Community Engagement Manager
Donor-Advised Funds (DAF)
What is a donor-advised fund?
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
How does it work?
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free)
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice
What are the main advantages of a donor-advised fund?
Simplicity – The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
Flexibility – Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
Tax-efficiency – Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
Family legacy – A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
No start-up costs – There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).
No transaction fees – Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.
Privacy if desired – Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
A Tribute Gift can be a meaningful way to celebrate, honor or remember a special person while making a charitable donation to Building Homes for Heroes.
Many friends of Building Homes for Heroes make donations in memory of a colleague, mentor, friend, or family member who has passed. Each Tribute Gift supports the mission and important work of Building Homes for Heroes while keeping the memory of someone you love alive.
Employee Giving, or Workplace Giving, is an easy and efficient way to make tax-deductible donations to Building Homes for Heroes, typically with donations taken directly out of your paycheck.
Benefits of Workplace Giving:
- Convenience & Tax Benefits: You get the convenience of automatic payroll deductions without losing the tax benefits of charitable giving.
- Financially More Manageable: By having a smaller amount of money deducted from your paycheck throughout the year, you can donate a larger amount of money and have a greater impact overall. For example, if you get paid biweekly (26 times throughout the year) and you pledge $38.50 of each paycheck, by the end of the year you will have donated $1,000!
- Matching Gifts: Some employers will offer to match your contributions up to a specified amount. This leverages your employer’s philanthropic support and maximizes your gift to the causes you care about.
- Cost-efficient and Sustainable Fundraising: Workplace giving is more cost-effective and efficient for charities to raise funds than other fundraising methods. The cost of participating in a workplace giving campaign is far below the cost that would be incurred if participating charities had to launch any type of campaign to try to raise an equal amount of money. Your donation enables more time and resources to be spent on services and programs rather than elaborate fundraising.
- Unrestricted Money: Your donation provides a sustainable, year-round source of funds. And because this money is ‘unrestricted’, your donation provides funds that enable us to decide how to best use that money and invest in our ability to deliver vital programs and services.
Combined Federal Campaign (CFC):
If you are a federal employee, you can support your favorite charities through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)’s fall campaign. With 30+ CFC campaign zones throughout the country and overseas, the CFC is one the world’s largest workplace charity campaigns and has raised over $8 billion for non-profits since its inception in 1961.
Each charity participating in the CFC has a unique CFC number assigned to them.
Building Homes for Heroes’ National CFC # is 70674.
You can log into the CFC’s donor pledging site: https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/welcome and enter our CFC number to add Building Homes for Heroes to your charity of choice.
Make your gift go twice as far by seeing if your employer offers a corporate matching gift. Companies usually match donations at a 1:1 ratio, but some will match at 2:1, 3:1, or even a 4:1 ratio.
With 20,000+ companies and subsidiaries that match employee gifts, see if your employer will match your donation here:
Good News! Congress restores IRA gift option for donors age 70½ and over.
The law ”Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015” which includes the provision to permanently restore the law that allows donors to make charitable gifts from their IRA accounts during tax year 2015 and beyond without incurring income tax on the withdrawal. If you are age 70½ or older and are required to take minimum withdrawals and you do not need them for personal use, this may be a great way to make a gift to one or more qualified charities for the current tax year. While you cannot claim a charitable deduction for IRA gifts, you will not pay income tax on the amount.
Benefits–Qualified charitable distributions:
- Can total up to $100,000 in each tax year (if your spouse has a separate IRA account, you can each contribute up to $100,000 per tax year);
- Can be excluded from your gross income for federal income tax purposes on line 15a of Form 1040 (no charitable deduction is available, however);
- Can be used to satisfy your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD);
- Are not subject to the 50% deductibility ceiling or the 2% rule.
- You must be age 70 ½ or older at the time of the gift.
- Transfers must be made from a traditional or Roth IRA account by your plan provider DIRECTLY to the charity. Funds that are withdrawn by you and then contributed do NOT qualify.
- Gifts from 401k, 403b, SEP and other retirement plans do not qualify.
- Gifts must be outright. Distributions to donor-advised funds, supporting organizations, or life-income arrangements such as charitable remainder trusts and gift annuities are precluded.
For more information
Email us, or call us at (516) 684-9220 so that we can assist you through every step of the process
Create a Powerful Philanthropic Legacy
A legacy gift is a planned future gift that designates some part of an individual’s estate as a donation to a nonprofit. Legacy gifts enable individuals to create a powerful philanthropic legacy by making a direct impact on the causes important to them.
If you decide to include a gift in your estate plans, our legal name is Building Homes for Heroes, Inc. and our tax ID number is 20-4540852.