Building Homes for Heroes Honors Military Appreciation Month
National Military Appreciation Month, celebrated every May, was introduced in 1999 to encourage U.S. citizens to observe the month as a symbol of unity. May is characterized by six national observances highlighting the extraordinary contributions of those who have served and sacrificed:
- Loyalty Day and Silver Star Service Banner Day (May 1)
- Victory in Europe Day (May 8)
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day (May 10)
- Children of Fallen Patriots Day (May 13)
- Armed Forces Day (May 18)
- Memorial Day (May 27)
What you can do to show appreciation to veterans during Military Appreciation Month:
- Express gratitude, not sympathy. Be sure to tell military member and their spouses how much you appreciate their service and sacrifice.
- Say hello and, start a conversation with someone in the military when you see them public, buy them a meal or a cup of coffee. Do something for them.
- Help a military spouse: Often times military spouse are left to handle so much when their partner is deployed. Supporting them during these challenging times are invaluable to military spouses and helps keep up morale during tough times.
- Start a fundraiser, host an event, and help spread the word.
- First Step would be to sign up for our newsletter to keep up to date with upcoming home ceremonies and events that you could attend. Click here!
What Building Homes for Heroes is doing:
- We are honoring all of our servicemen and women for their service and sacrifice with the gifting and modifying of homes, and our many support services to help them build better and brighter lives.
- We are recognizing all military spouses and the Hidden Heroes who sacrifice for their family and their country.
- We are highlighting our Gold Star families and children.
- We are working with all of our partners and supporters so all have opportunity to support our mission through our multiple Military Appreciation Month campaigns.
- USMC Half Marathon
How to join:
- Make a donation today to support Building Homes for Heroes. More than 95% of your donation will be going directly to our heroes, one of the highest program ratings in the country.
- Encourage your employer to start an Employee Giving Campaign: Our longtime supporter SAIC will be holding a Military Appreciation Month campaign for Building Homes for Heroes to support injured veterans and their families. Your company can also join in! Please let us know if we can help you arrange this or check here to see if your employer already participates!
- Attend one of our many events and fundraisers: On Saturday, May 20, for instance, the Operation Support a Hero Shootout will take place in Fort Worth, Texas to raise funds for Building Homes for Heroes to support our nation’s heroes.
- Share our stories on your social media with family, friends and contacts. You can find our latest updates and veterans’ stories on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
On behalf of our nation’s heroes and the growing Building Homes for Heroes Family, thank you for supporting our veterans this Military Appreciation Month. If there’s anything else you’d like to know, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org